"Yoxall is a large and well-built village, in a pleasant valley, on the Ashbourn road, near the south-western border of the now enclosed forest of Needwood, seven miles NNE of Lichfield. It was anciently a market town, and is a member of the Honour of Tutbury. The parish includes several hamlets and scattered houses, and contains 1496 inhabitants, and 4791 acres of land, of which 1200 acres are new enclosures in the Yoxall Ward of Needwood Forest. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor, but the greater part of the parish belongs to other proprietors. The hamlets of Yoxall parish and their distance and bearing from Yoxall village are as follows: Hoarcross, two and a half miles N, and partly in Newborough and Hamstall Ridware parishes, Hadley-End, one mile SW, Longcroft, three quarters of a mile E, Morry, one mile W, Olive Green, one and a half miles W, and Woodhouses, half a mile E. Hoarcross Hall, now the seat of HC Meynell Ingram, Esq, was anciently the residence of the Willes family, and was rebuilt by its late possessor, Lord Scarsdale, who occupied it as a hunting seat. Longcroft Hall was long held by the Arden family, and is now the seat of BH Allen, Esq. Yoxall Lodge, two and a half miles NE of Yoxall, is the seat of Thomas Gisborne, Esq, and was the residence of the late Rev Thomas Gisborne, who was revered as both a divine and poet." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions of St Peter, Yoxall, the Yoxall Parish Council Cemetery, the Methodist Church, Woodmill & the Catholic Church, Woodlane has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Yoxall parish was as follows: 1801 -- 753 1831 -- 1582 1841 -- 1496
"Yoxall Church, St Peter, is an ancient Gothic fabric, with a nave, chancel, side aisles, and a square tower. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev JB Gisborne, BA.
Here is a Wesleyan and also a Primitive Methodist chapel, the former built in 1845. In Wood Lane is a small Roman Catholic Chapel, with a house for the priest, Rev James Jeffries."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers The register of the parish church of St Peter commences in 1645. The original registers for the period 1645-1786 & 1813-1909 (Bapts), 1682-1915 (Mar) & 1678-1879 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1823-1883 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1664-1871 (with gaps 1665-67, 1676, 1701, 1705-07, 1771-81 & 1870) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.