"FARNBOROUGH, a parish in the Burton-Dassett division of the hundred of Kington, county Warwick, 6 miles S.E. of Kington. Banbury is its post town. The Fenny Compton station on the Great Western railway is 1 mile N. of the village. Farnborough is situated near the foot of Farnborough Hill, and the Oxford canal passes in the neighbourhood. In the Domesday Survey it is called Fernberge, and afterwards passed to the families of Say and Raleigh. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value £304. The church is dedicated to St. Botolph. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum, £40 of which are an endowment for the free school. W. Holbech, Esq., is lord of the manor. Farnborough Park is the principal residence. Here is a meet for the Warwick hounds."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]