"FOLESHILL, a parish in the liberty of the city of Coventry, county Warwick, 2½ miles N.E. of Coventry, and 97 from London. It is a station on the Coventry and Nuneaton branch of the London and North-Western railway. Previous to the dissolution of religious houses the Prior of Coventry was lord of the manor. A large portion of the lands were the patrimony of the Lady Godiva. The village, which forms an extensive suburb of Coventry, extends along the Leicester road. Silk and ribbon weaving is extensively carried on, also the manufacture of fringes, while a large number of the inhabitants are employed in the coal-pits, iron foundries, and brickfields."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Foleshill from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.