"ILMINGTON, a parish in the hundreds of Kington and Kiftsgate, counties Warwick and Gloucester, 4 miles W. of Shipston-on-Stour. It contains the hamlets of Lark Stoke, Compton, Scorpion, and Foxcote. It is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The village is considerable, and part of the inhabitants are employed in winding silk, manufactured at the mills of Blockley and Camden. The railway from Stratford-on-Avon to Morton-in-the-Marsh passes through the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Ilmington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- "ILMINGTON, a parish comprising the small hamlet of Lark-Stoke
in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county of Gloucester, but
chiefly in a detached part of the Kington division of the hundred of Kington,
county of Warwick, 4 miles (N.W. by W.) from Shipston upon Stour".
(Ref: A Topological Dictionary of England; Samuel Lewis, 1831)