"KNOWLE, a chapelry in the parish of Hampton-in-Arden, Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 10 miles from Birmingham, its post town, 2½ S.E. of Solihull, and 1¼ mile from the Knowle station, on the Birmingham railway. The village stands on an eminence near the Birmingham and Warwick canal. The manor was formerly held by Queen Eleanor, and subsequently by Westminster Abbey. Petty sessions for the division are held here during the winter months, in conjunction with Solihull. The impropriation belongs to Leicester's Hospital, at Warwick."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Knowle from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.