LAPWORTH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LAPWORTH, a parish in the Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, county Warwick, 3 miles N. of Henleyin-Arden, and 6 from the Kingswood railway station. It is situated on the Birmingham and Stratford canal, and near the Birmingham and Oxford railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. It is a meet for the North Warwickshire hounds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Worcester, value £428, in the patronage of Merton College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower and spire. The charities produce about £412 per annum. The Independents have a place of worship. The free school for both sexes is a new building situated near the church. P. Wykeham Martin, Esq., and George Miller, Esq., are lords of the manor." "KINGSWOOD, a hamlet in the parishes of Lapworth and Rowington, county Warwick, 4 miles N.E. of Henley-in-Arden. It is a station on the Oxford, Warwick, and Birmingham branch of the Great Western railway, and is intersected by the Birmingham and Stratford-on-Avon canal."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]