"MIDDLETON, a parish in the Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 4½ miles S.W. of Tamworth, its post town, and 3 from Kingsbury railway station. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated on the Birmingham and Fazeley canal, which passes through the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is clay and gravel. The greater portion of the land is arable, with some woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £100. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a neat structure with a square tower. The interior of the church contains several monuments of the Willoughby family, who take from this place the title of baron. Also one of Lord Ridgway, and two brasses of Judge Bingham, bearing date 1476. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a parochial school. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]