MONKS KIRBY, Warwickshire
"MONKS KIRBY, a parish in the Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, county Warwick, 5½ miles E. of Lutterworth, its post town, 7 N.W. of Rugby, and near the Stretton railway station. The village, which is extensive, and of some note, is situated near the Roman Fosse Way. The parish contains Pailton, Easenhall, and seven other hamlets Monks-Kirby is mentioned in Domesday as Chirchberye, and had a Benedictine cell to Angiers Abbey in Normandy, founded by Geoffry de Wirce. It was afterwards granted by Richard II. to Thomas Mowbray for Epworth Priory. It derives its name from the monks, or priory church, and gives name to the division of the hundred."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Monks Kirby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.