"SHUSTOKE, a parish in the Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, county Warwick, 3 miles N.E. of Coleshill, its post town. It is a station on the Birmingham, Whitacre, and Leicester section of the Midland railway. The village is situated on the high road from Birmingham to Atherstone, near the Midland railway. The parish, which extends for nearly nine miles in length, though very narrow, contains the chapelry of Bentley and the hamlet of Blythe. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The river Blythe, and a stream called the Bourne, intersect the parish. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Bentley annexed, in the diocese of Worcester, value £258, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, has a lofty tower, containing five bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Dugdale and Dilke families. The registers date from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £54 per annum, of which £49 go to Huntbach's school and almshouses."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Shustoke from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.