"STRETTON-ON-THE-FOSS, a parish in the Brailes division of Kington hundred, county Warwick, also containing some places in the county of Gloucestershire, 4 miles from Moreton, its post town, and 3 W. of Shipston. The parish includes the hamlets of Longford and Lower Ditchford, which latter had once a friary. There is a salt spring in the neighbourhood, The surface is hilly, and the soil chiefly a stiff clay. The living is a rectory* with that of Ditchford annexed, in the diocese of Worcester, value £288. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1841. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum. There are day and Sunday schools."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Stretton on the Foss from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- "STRETTON on the FOSS, a parish forming a detached portion
of the Brails division of the hundred of Kington, county of Warwick... The
living is a rectory, with that of Ditchford, annexed to the archdeaconry of
Gloucester, and diocese of Worcester".
(Ref: A Topological Dictionary of England; Samuel Lewis, 1831)