|Appleby Genuki contents|
Appleby St Michael
|One of Appleby's 2
parishes with St Lawrence
The parish of St. Michael also covers Crackenthorp... Helton Bacon... Murton... Langton.
Description & Travel
|"The parish of St
Michael... goes commonly by the name of Bongate parish.
Bongate, properly so called, is the street where the
villani or bondmen inhabited, who were attendent upon the
castle to execute the servile and laborious offices.
This parish is bounded on the east by the parishes of Romaldkirk and Warcop; on the south, by the parishes of Warcop and St. Laurence Appleby; on the west, by the parishes of Kirkby Thore and Marton; and on the north, by the parishes of Kirkby Thore, Marton, and Dufton; and contains in the whole about 145 families [in 1777], all of the church of England.
M.I.s for Appleby St Michael were transcribed in Monumental Inscriptions of Westmorland by E. Bellasis 1888-89 and are available on Westmorland Papers.
No returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 apart from the constablewicks of Hilton and Murton. These are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1901.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
|St Michael. Church
is Early English and Decorated Gothic in appearance,
though contains a Saxon hogback gravestone as a lintel
over the North doorway. It was restored by Lady Anne
Clifford in the C17th. The North tower is C19th.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site)
|Murton-cum-Hilton is a modest chapel.|
|Crakanthorp, a Village
famous for its Hall, or Manor-House and Moor. The Hall is
a pleasant Seat, situate on the East-side of the Town,
where the Family of Machels, who are Lords of the Manor
and have long been Men of good Note in this Country, have
had their Residence from the Conquest downwards to this
Day, and perhaps some Years before, if we had any Records
to enlighten us in the Things of the preceding Ages. It
may seem a little Strange, that Gentlemen of so antient a
Family should not be found in the Catalogue of Knights of
the Shire for this County' but if we consider that 'tis
probably they were of a Saxon Descent, 'tis no Wonder
that the Norman Kings would not trust any of such
Descent, supposing them to be irreconcilable Enemies. 2.
The Moors over which the Roman military Way passeth,
called, the Maiden-way, and on which there are observable
several wonderful Camps, near which other Antiquities
have been discovered. To these Things we may add, that
the Family of Crakanthorps, which hath produced several
Persons of Note, may be justly thought to take their Name
from this Place, seeing they are every where in our
Histories said to be Natives of this County, but not of
what Place certainly, and seem to be more eminent than
the Machels; for John de Crakenthorp was one of the
Knights for this Shire, 9 Rich. II. And the 13th of the
same King; William de Crakanthorp was in the same Office,
15, 18, and 21 of the same King, which John and William
held the same Place 1 (?) 3 Hen. IV. And Robert
Crakanthorp was chosen into the same Post 1 and 3 Hen.
III. 5 Hen. VI. Which shews, that the Family was in great
Credit in those Kings Reigns. In later Time Richard
Crakenthorp brought a Reputation to this Family by his
singular Virtues and Learning, for which he was made the
King's Chaplain, and preferred by Sir John Leveson to the
Rectory of Black-Notley near Braintree in Essex, but far
short of his Deserts, as all that knew him believed; for
he was replenished with all Kinds of Virtue and Learning,
being a great Philosopher, a profound Divine, a subtle
Canonist, and so well versed in the Fathers, Councils,
and Schoolmen, that non in his Time went beyond him, as
his Writings sufficiently prove. K. James I. used to say,
he ought to have been a Bishop, but he never made him
one; so that he died Rector of Black-Notley, and was
buried in the Chancel there Nov. 25. 1624. This Manor is
placed among the Estates, of which Roger Lord Clifford
4th died possessed 13 Rich. II. And left to his Heir
Thomas, which how it is consistent with what is said
before from Cambden, its hard to reconcile.
Helton-Bacon, the Estate of Roger Lord Clifford, of which he died seized 15 Rich. II. As above, as he did also of Helton-Fletham Langton, the Lordship of Roger Lord Clifford 4th, who died possessed of it, and divers other Lordships and Estates 13 Rich. II. And left them to his Heir Thomas, etc.
Last updated: Nov 2012 - Dave Huddart