Bolton is a parish in the West Ward of the county adjacent to Cliburn, Temple Sowerby, Appleby and Morland.
It was formerly part of the parish of Morland.
|"Bolton was variously written in ancient times; as Boelthun, Boeltun, Bovelthun, Botheltun: From all which may be conjectured that it received its name from the owner, Bothel, Bovel, Boel, or the like. Bovel, and Bolt, are names yet in use in Westmorland."|
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. The returns for Bolton are transcribed on EdenLinks.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
|All Saints. Norman
doorways and sculpture. Additions of C17 and 18th. C14th effigy. |
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Acess and contact details on Church of England site
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on the Edenlinks site.
There is a dissertation deposited at Kendal Record Office:
in Westmorland - an Eden Valley Community 18th. and early 19th
Last updated: November 2012 Dave Huddart