|The parish is bounded on the east, south, and west, by the parish of Morland; and on the north, by the parishes of Lowther, Clifton, and Brougham|
Cleburn, Cleyburn, seems to derive the name from its situation. Burn is
a rivulet or brook. And there is in the soil here a course of clay,
which discovers itself in the channel and banks of the rivulet called
Leeth, which runs on the west side of the village, and falls into
Lyvennet below Cliburn mill. |
The parish is bounded on the east, south, and west, by the parish of Morland; and on the north, by the parishes of Lowther, Clifton, and Brougham; and contains about 36 families, all of the established church [in 1777].
The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. It is a rectory. The church, in proportion to the extent of the parish, is very small. The parsonage house is situate near adjoining the churchyard. It is an old building, but in a pleasant situation, by the side of the Leeth.
Belonging to this parish is Winderwath, though intercepted from it by the upper part of Whinfell forest, which is in the parish of Brougham; so as Winderwath is no where contiguous to the rest of the parish."
M.I.s for Cliburn were transcribed in Monumental Inscriptions of Westmorland by E. Bellasis 1888-89 and are available on Westmorland Papers.
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. There is a transcription on EdenLinks
returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
A transcript of the 1841 census of Cliburn [HO107/1162] is provided by Virginia Gretton. It includes the following names:
Transcript and index for
1851 has been published by the Cumbria
Family History Society
|St Cuthbert. Norman
nave and chancel. C19th S aisle and windows. |
architectural notes on National
(English Heritage site).
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
Magna Britannica et
Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by T Cox 1731.
|"Clibburn-Talboys, though probably deriving its last Name from Ivo de Talbois, the first Lord of Kendal, whose Possession it was, and whose Posterity assumed the Name of de Lancaster, and from them it passed to the Cliffords through several intermediate Owner's Hands. And Clibburn Herny."|
Last updated: Nov 2013 Dave Huddart