"CROSBY-GARRETT, a parish in EAST ward, county of WESTMORLAND, comprising the townships of Crosby-Garrett and Little Musgrave, and containing 273 inhabitants, of which number 193 are in the township of Crosby-Garrett, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Kirkby-Stephen. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Carlisle, rated in the king's books at £19. 4. 4., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Richard Bunn, L.L.D., and Mrs. Coulston. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a spacious edifice in the ancient style of English architecture. . . . This parish consists of two detached portions, the chapelry of Soulby lying between them: it has the river Eden on the north-east, and on the south-west a lofty verdant hill, termed Crosby Fell, at the foot of which the village is situated, in a deep and romantic valley."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]