Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Grayrigg. . . Having now advanced to the Eastern extremity of the parish of Kendal, we incline Northwards to the manor of Grayrigg; so called probably from being frequented by badgers, brocks, or grays; as on the east side of the river Lune, opposite thereto, is a place which yet bears the name of Brockholes. The hollow between is called Grayrigg-hause, from haustus perhaps, which signifies a draught; even as yet a throat or gulley is by the common people called a hause. There is a meeting-house in Grayrigg belonging to the Quakers." [Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.]
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 for the township of Whinfell only and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives:
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR5 for information on these and other parish records.
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Grayrigg which are provided by:
Records relating to the Barony of Kendale, CWAAS, William Farrer & John F. Curwen (editors) are available on British History Online.
Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the townships of
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD578971 (Lat/Lon: 54.367667, -2.651029), Grayrigg which are provided by:
Wills for Grayrigg will be at Carlisle since about 1858 but before that will be at the Preston R.O. as it was in the Diocese of Chester until that time.