Genuki homepage Grayrigg  Genuki WES homepage Westmorland Go to information for each parish in Westmorland WES Parishes See neighbouring places for this parishNearby places Genuki contents page Genuki contents 
Location of parish on undated map by William Mackenzie, scanned by Sarah Reveley.Area around the parish on undated map by William Mackenzie, scanned by Sarah Reveley.Grayrigg is a parish in Kendal Ward. It was formerly part of the very large Kendal parish.
 It adjoins the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Nearby parishes are Selside, Burnside, New Hutton and Firbank.

Description & Travel

Nicolson and Burn:
The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.

"Grayrigg... Having now advanced to the Eastern extremity of the parish of Kendal, we incline Northwards to the manor of Grayrigg; so called probably from being frequented by badgers, brocks, or grays; as on the east side of the river Lune, opposite thereto, is a place which yet bears the name of Brockholes. The hollow between is called Grayrigg-hause, from haustus perhaps, which signifies a draught; even as yet a throat or gulley is by the common people called a hause. There is a meeting-house in Grayrigg belonging to the Quakers.

Census

Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 for the township of Whinfell only and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust.

Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.

Church History

Click for full-size image on Geograph: SD5797 : St John the Evangelist Church, Grayrigg by Alexander P Kapp 
©
Alexander P Kapp licensed under Creative Commons.
St John. 1837. Then West Tower 1869.

This and other photographs on the Geograph site
Church plans (1837-38) from ICBS archive on Church Plans Online (Lambeth Palace Library).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Acess and contact details on Church of England site

Return to top of page

Church Records

Baptism registers 1730-1923  The parish records and Bishop' Transcripts are held at the Kendal Record Office
of Cumbria Archives Service.
The Record Office reference is WPR5
There will be microfilm copies at Carlisle Record Office.

For searching on www.familysearch.org see Jake Prescott's list of IGI batch numbers.
Marriage registers 1730-1978
Banns registers 1824-1981
Burial registers 1730-1873
Bishops transcripts 1813-1873

Return to top of page

Directories

The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.

History

Grayrigg  Records relating to the Barony of Kendale,  CWAAS, William Farrer & John F. Curwen (editors) are available on British History Online. Supplementary Records - Grayrigg

Docker  Records relating to the Barony of Kendale,  CWAAS, William Farrer & John F. Curwen (editors) available on British History Online. Supplementary Records - Docker

Lambrigg  Records relating to the Barony of Kendale,  CWAAS, William Farrer & John F. Curwen (editors) available on British History Online. Supplementary Records - Lambrigg

Whinfell  Records relating to the Barony of Kendale,  CWAAS, William Farrer & John F. Curwen (editors) available on British History Online. Supplementary Records - Whinfell


Probate Records

Wills for Grayrigg will be at Carlisle since about 1858 but before that will be at the Preston R.O. as it was in the Diocese of Chester until that time.

Return to top of page

Taxation

Hearth Tax records for 1674 Grayrigg transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Lambrigg transcribed on Edenlinks.

Return to top of page


Last updated: November 2013  Dave Huddart