"LEVENS, a chapelry partly in the parish of HEVERSHAM, and partly in that of KENDAL, KENDAL ward, county of WESTMORLAND, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Kendal, containing, with Beathwaite-Green, Sizergh- Fell-side, and part of Brigsteer, 760 inhabitants. A handsome chapel, with a low tower surmounted by an octagonal spire, was erected, in 1828, at an expense of £2000, defrayed by the Hon. Fulk Greville Howard, who also built the parsonage-house; he appoints the minister, and allows him an annual stipend of £200. A school for forty poor girls was established, in 1810, by Lady Howard, who pays for! their education, and partly clothes them. Another school was erected, in 1825, by Colonel Howard, and is supported at his expense; it is conducted on the Madras system, and is attended by about one hundred and forty children."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) - copyright Mel Lockie 2016]