|Troutbeck is a parish
in Kendal Ward. |
It was formerly in Windermere parish, and is on the Eastern shore of Windermere.
is bounded on the East by Kentmere, on the South by the mother church
division, on the West by Ambleside, and on the North by Patterdale in
the parish of Barton. It receives its name from the rivulet, which
springs in the head of the dale, and running along the east side of
this division, empties itself below Calgarth in Windermere water.
In Troutbeck there is a chapel, which was consecrated.. in the year 1562, by the name of Jesus Chapel, for the use of the inhabitants of Troutbeck and Applethwaite: With a saving (as is usual in like cases) of the rights of the mother church of St. Martin in Winandermere."
Returns do not survive for the 'census' of 1787.
© Philip Halling licensed under Creative Commons
W tower of 1736. But nave and chancel are C19th. Jacobean woodwork
This and other photographs are on the Geograph site. Troutbeck Church
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Acess and contact details on Church of England site.
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site and from the same directory just for Troutbeck on the Windermere School site (available through Wayback Machine Internet Archive).
Last updated: February 2015 Dave Huddart