|Westmorland . WES Parishes. Genuki contents . Nearby places|
Warcop is a parish in the East of the county, and containing the chapelries of Bleatarn and Sandford.
See Nearby places .
Description & Travel
|The church is dedicated
to St. Columbe; by contraction, St. Combe. This saint is
not in the Kalendar of saints in the Romish church,
having never been canonized at Rome. He was the apostle
of the Picts, and settled in one of the Hebrides islands,
in the sixth century.
It is a vicarage, in the patronage of the lord of the manor. The church is small, with two little bells. The vicarage-house hath been anciently moated round, including the garden, orchard, and outhouses; with a draw-bridge at the entrance: the necessity whereof is apparent, as it is situate by the road side out of Scotland.
West from Warcop, lies the manor of Sandford, on the north side of the river Eden; which probably had its name from some ford over that river, the soil being remarkably sandy all thereabouts.
North from Coupland beck bridge, at the skirt of Roman fell, (as it is now called, not for any particular reason deducible from the time of the old Romans, for the ancient name of it was Rutmanfell) lies the hamlet of Burton. This, like many of the rest, was heretofore in the hands of a family denominated from the place.
South from Warcop, on the opposite side of the river Eden, is the village of Bleatarn; so denominated from the tarn and marshy ground thereabouts."
M.I.s for Warcop were transcribed in Westmorland Church Notes by E. Bellasis 1888-89
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1901.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.
|St Columba. Cruciform church with S aisle. The nave is substantially Norman. Later work is C13th, C14th and C15th. C17th porch.|
|Chapel of Ease, Bleatarn|
|Chapel at Warcop|
|Chapel at Sandford|
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
Warthe-coop, or Warthecupp, a Village famous for giving a
Name to an antient and genteel Family of Warcops, who
'tis probable were Lords of it at that Time, but was
alienated in Aftertimes; for Roger Lord Clifford 4th died
possessed of it 13 Rich. II. and left it with his other
great Estates to his Son and Heir Thomas; yet 'tis
probable, that the Warcops still continued Men of Estates
and Note, because we observe, that Thomas de Warthe-cupp
was Knight of this Shire 8 Hen. V. The Maidenway lies
near this village.
Sandford, a Lordship of Roger Lord Clifford 4th, who died seised of it 13 Rich. II. with divers other Manors before-mentioned, and left it to his Son and Heir Thomas, as above."
|A History of the Sandfords
of Sandford have been made available by C R Grant.
British History Online provides Warcop from The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932)
Warcop is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.