National Gazetteer (1868) - Alderton
"ALDERTON, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the S.W. of Malmesbury. The British road called Akeman Street, which led from Bath to Cirencester, passes near it, and at a short distance is Badminton Park, the seat of the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, in the patronage of Sir J. Neeld, Bart., of Red Lodge. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. This parish was the birthplace of Gore the antiquary, who resided at Alderton House, and whose tomb is in the church. He was born in 1631, and died 1681."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]