National Gazetteer (1868) - Alton Barnes
"ALTON-BARNES, (or Berners), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the E. of Devizes. The Kennet and Avon canal passes through it. This place was formerly a possession of the nunnery of Amesbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value £294, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]