Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
National Gazetteer (1868) - Ashley
"ASHLEY, a parish and village in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles to the N.W. of Malmesbury, and 4 from Tetbury-road junction. It is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, near the old Roman way, called Akeman Street, from Bath to Cirencester. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £220, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is old, and has two Norman arches, an ancient circular font, and a monument of Ferdinando Gorges, who died in 1647. It is dedicated to St. James. The manor of Ashley, now held by the Right Hon. T. H. S. Estcourt, Esq., M.P., formerly belonged to the Hungerfords."