National Gazetteer (1868) - Ashley
ASHLEY, a parish and village in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles to the N.W. of Malmesbury, and 4 from Tetbury-road junction. It is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, near the old Roman way, called Akeman Street, from Bath to Cirencester. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £220, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is old, and has two Norman arches, an ancient circular font, and a monument of Ferdinando Gorges, who died in 1647. It is dedicated to St. James. The manor of Ashley, now held by the Right Hon. T. H. S. Estcourt, Esq., M.P., formerly belonged to the Hungerfords.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]