"ATWORTH, (or Alford), a chapelry in the parish of Bradford on Avon, hundred and union of Bradford-on-Avon, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles N.W. from Melksham its post town, 3 S. of Corsham railway station, and 5 N.E. of Bradford. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value, with that of South Wraxall attached, of £250, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. It is now a distinct parish for ecclesiastical purposes. The church is a neat modern structure, rebuilt in 1828. At a short distance to the north stands the ruined tower of the ancient church. The Independents have a chapel. There is a school with a small endowment, and some other charities. Lord Methuen is lord of the manor."