"BEMERTON, a chapelry in the parish of Fugglestone St. Peter, hundred of Branch and Dole, in the county of Wilts, near Salisbury. The living is a rectory united with that of Fugglestone, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The rectory of Bemerton has been held by several distinguished men:- Curle, Bishop of Winchester; George Herbert, the poet; John Norris, the metaphysician; and Archdeacon Coxe, the historian and traveller. The parsonage-house was rebuilt and the church repaired by the famous sacred poet, George Herbert. His remains were interred here, the 3rd of March, 1633. The church contains a monument to Norris, and another to Herbert, recently erected."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
See Fugglestone for early parish registers.