"BERWICK BASSETT, (or Barwick-Bassett), a parish and township in the hundred of Calne, in the county of Wilts, 7 miles to the N.E. of Calne, and 7 S. from Wootton Bassett railway station. Swindon is its post town. The river Kennet passes at a short distance from the village. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, value £40, and in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has been recently repaired, and the tower and chancel rebuilt. It contains a very ancient font and a handsome rood-screen of carved oak. There is a free school, founded in 1775, with a small endowment, and a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]