"BERWICK ST. JAMES, a parish and village in the hundred of Branch and Dole, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles to the N.W. of Wilton, and 8 from. Salisbury, its post town. The Salisbury branch of the Great Western railway passes near it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £54, in the patronage of Lord Ashburton, who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. James, is in the early English style, with Norman tower. There is a Church of England mixed school. The intrenchments known as Yarnbury Camp, lay 2 miles west of the village, on the slope of the Downs, covering a space of 28 acres. They are surrounded by a rampart 52 feet high, and approached by six entrances. Many British and Roman remains have been found in the vicinity, and there are two British earthworks."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]