National Gazetteer (1868) - Bishopstone (near Swindon)
BISHOPSTONE NEAR SWINDON, a parish in the hundred of Ramsbury, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the E. of Swindon. Farringdon is its post town. It lies on the borders of Berkshire. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £208, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are two endowed schools in the village, the income of which amounts to about £60 per annum, and some other charities of the annual value of £70.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]