National Gazetteer (1868) - Bishopstone (near Wilton)
BISHOPSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Downton, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles to the S. of Wilton. Salisbury is its post town. It contains the hamlet of Throope, and several others. The living is a vicarage* and sinecure rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £806, in the patronage of the Earl of Pembroke. The church, which once belonged to the priory of Monkton Farleigh, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It is a handsome structure in the form of a cross, in the decorated style of architecture, and has a finely decorated ceiling, some canopied niches, and two stone coffins, in which were deposited the remains of bishops. The parochial charities, consisting of a bequest for the benefit of the school, amount to £12 a year. There is a parochial day-school and a Sunday-school, the latter built by the present rector, the Rev. Chancellor Lear.
FAULSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Bishopstone, hundred of Dournton, county Wilts, 3 miles S.W. of Wilton.
HAMSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Bishopstone, county Wilts, 3 miles S. of Wilton.
NETTON, a hamlet in the parish of Bishopstone, county Wilts, 3 miles S. by W. of Wilton.
PITTS, a hamlet in the parish of Bishopstone, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Salisbury.
THROOPE, a hamlet in the parish of Bishopstone, county Wilts, 3 miles S.W. of Wilton.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]