"BREMHILL, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the N.W. of Calne, and 4 E. from Chippenham, its post town. It is pleasantly situated near the river Avon, and the Great Western railway, and contains the tythings of Foxham, East Tytherton, Bremhill, Studley, &c. The Berkshire and Wilts canal passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £506, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, stands on an elevated site, commanding an extensive prospect over the surrounding country. It is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower, and contains a rood-loft, a stone font, several monumental brasses (the earliest being of the year 1516), and a monument to one of the Hungerford family, who had their seat at Studley. There is an old stone cross in the churchyard.
William Lisle Bowles, the poet, formerly held the vicarage of Bremhill, and died here in 1845. He wrote a history of the parish, which was published about 1828, and contains illustrations of several monuments of ancient times existing in the neighbourhood. The vicarage was then conferred by Bishop Denison on the late Archdeacon of Wilts, the Venerable Henry Drury, M.A., Chaplain to the House of Commons, who died in January, 1863. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The parochial charities consist of the produce of an endowment founded in 1478 by Maud Heath, for the maintenance of an old footpath, now amounting to about £105 per annum. The Roman way, Watling Street, passes through Bremhill, and in the vicinity are the ancient Wandsdyke, and the venerable remains of the temple at Avebury. The Moravians have a settlement near East Tytherton. The old seat of the Hungerfords is now a farmhouse. The Marquis of Lansdowne is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Bremhill (formerly also known as "Brimble"). It included Foxham.
- St Martin, -, Church of England
- St Martin, -, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, Other, Foxham
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Other, Foxham
- Wesleyan Chapel, Other, Spirthill
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bremhill area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Bremhill, St Martin:
Indexes and registers of the church of East Tytherton, Moravian or United Brethren, Bremhill:
- IGI Chr 1748-1840 Batch C078041 (RG4 3061), Mar 1750-1775 and 1786-1832 Batch M078041
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Foxham, St Martin (created from Bremhill in 1850, and merged with it again in 1911.
- A transcription of the section for Bremhill from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Bremhill from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Bremhill to another place.
- View maps of Bremhill and places within its boundaries.