National Gazetteer (1868) - Brinkworth
"BRINKWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the S.E. of Malmesbury, and 5 N.W. from Wootton Basset railway station. It is situated on a branch of the river Avon, and contains the hamlet of Grittenham. This village is one of the three polling-places for the borough of Cricklade, which now comprises the hundred of Malmesbury and four others. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the annual value of £808, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure in the early English style, with square tower. The Independents have a chapel here. The charitable endowments, including a small bequest for a school, amount to £26 per annum. The rectory of Brinkworth was held in 1627 by Dr. Tobias Crisp, a noted Antinomian writer. There are two manors in this parish; the Earl of Suffolk is lord of the manor of Brinkworth, and Lord Holland of that of Grittenham."
"GRITTENHAM, a tything in the parish of Brinkworth, hundred of Malmesbury, county Wilts, 3 miles N.W. of Wootton-Bassett."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]