"BROAD-HINTON, a parish partly in the hundred of Selkley, and partly in Kingsbridge, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the S.W. of Swindon, and 5 S.E. from Wootton Bassett railway station. It is an extensive and widely scattered village, surrounded for many miles by open downs, and included in the parliamentary borough of Cricklade. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £302, in the patronage of the Master of St. Nicholas' Hospital, in Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with square embattled tower. The interior was restored in 1850. There are in the parish two schools, one with an income from endowment of £42 a year, and other charities producing about £30 a year, including the fund for apprenticing boys."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]