"BROAD-HINTON, a parish partly in the hundred of Selkley, and partly in Kingsbridge, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the S.W. of Swindon, and 5 S.E. from Wootton Bassett railway station. It is an extensive and widely scattered village, surrounded for many miles by open downs, and included in the parliamentary borough of Cricklade. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £302, in the patronage of the Master of St. Nicholas' Hospital, in Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with square embattled tower. The interior was restored in 1850. There are in the parish two schools, one with an income from endowment of £42 a year, and other charities producing about £30 a year, including the fund for apprenticing boys."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St Peter ad Vincula, -, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Broad Hinton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Broad Hinton, St Peter ad Vincula:
- A transcription of the section for Broad Hinton from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Broad Hinton from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Broad Hinton to another place.
- The entry for Broad Hinton from British History Online.
- View maps of Broad Hinton and places within its boundaries.