"BROKENBOROUGH, a parish and village in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the N.W. of Malmesbury, of which borough it forms part. It is a very ancient place, having been a Roman settlement, and was called by the Saxons Caerderberge. The kings of Wessex had a seat here. The parish is on the border of Gloucestershire, and is crossed by the ancient Way called Akeman Street, near which fragments of Roman pavements have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a small charity school, and the parochial charities are Worth £3 a year. The Earl of Suffolk is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]