BROKENBOROUGH, a parish and village in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the N.W. of Malmesbury, of which borough it forms part. It is a very ancient place, having been a Roman settlement, and was called by the Saxons Caerderberge. The kings of Wessex had a seat here. The parish is on the border of Gloucestershire, and is crossed by the ancient Way called Akeman Street, near which fragments of Roman pavements have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a small charity school, and the parochial charities are Worth £3 a year. The Earl of Suffolk is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St John the Baptist, Church Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Brokenborough area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Common to all parishes is a Key to Abbreviations and a description of Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county . We are not aware of any indexes for this specific parish.
Registers of the parish church of Brokenborough, St John the Baptist:
(for earlier entries see Malmesbury, Westport St Mary)
- WSRO registers: Chr 1696-1909, Mar 1718-1744 and 1934-1966, Bur 1697-1992
- A transcription of the section for Brokenborough from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Brokenborough from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Brokenborough to another place.
- The entry for Brokenborough from British History Online.
- View maps of Brokenborough and places within its boundaries.
Prior to 1858 Brokenborough fell under the jurisdiction of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire for probate purposes. The records are held at the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives.