National Gazetteer (1868) - Burbage
"BURBAGE, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the S.E. of Marlborough, and 10 S.W. from Hungerford. The Kennet and Avon canal passes through a tunnel in this parish a quarter of a mile in length, under the old Roman road, and has on its margin several wharfs and brickworks. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Salisbury, value £257, in the patronage of the bishop. The Marquis of Ailesbury is the lay rector. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has been entirely rebuilt, except the tower.
There is a Wesleyan chapel. The charitable endowments of the parish amount to £100 per annum, the bequest of Philip Pearce, Esq., of which £10 is for educational purposes, and £90 to be distributed to the poor. About half a mile west of the village of Burbage is the small hamlet of Herapath, or Harepath, so named from the Roman military road which traversed this district, having on one side the bleak Plain of Salisbury, and on the other the Forest of Savernake. In the Norman times it belonged to the De Herapaths."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]