"BURCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Cawden Cadworth, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles to the W. of Wilton, and 6 from Salisbury. It is situated near the Great Western and London and South-Western railways, and contains the tythings of North and South Burcombe, and part of the hamlet of Ditchampton. Carpet-making is carried on in the village, which is built on the site of a Roman settlement. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £52, in the gift of the Master of St. John's Hospital, Wilton. The church, dedicated to St. John, is very ancient, and bears traces in the east end of Saxon workmanship. It was completely, restored in 1560, and a new aisle added on the north side. The register commences from the year 1682."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]