National Gazetteer (1868) - Buttermere
"BUTTERMERE, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles to the S. of Hungerford, its post town. It lies on the confines of Berkshire and Hampshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value £229, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. James."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]