National Gazetteer (1868) - Charlton (near Malmesbury)
"CHARLTON, a parish in the hundred of Malmesbury, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles N.E. of Malmesbury, its post town, and 2 from the Tetbury Road station of the Great Western railway. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of St. Mary Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, and in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient edifice, in the early English style of architecture. It contains several figures and monuments, and the family vault of the earls of Suffolk. Here is a free school for both sexes, chiefly supported by ladies Andover and Howard. Charlton House, beautifully situated, is a fine mansion, the seat of the Earl of Suffolk. It was partly designed by the celebrated Inigo Jones, and contains a fine collection of pictures. The Earl of Suffolk is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]