We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Charlton (near Pewsey)
"CHARLTON, (or Great Charlton), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts, 8 miles S.E. of Devizes. It is situated on the river Avon, and was formerly of more importance than at present. An alien priory was founded here by Reginald de Raveley in 1187, as a cell to L'Isle Dieu Abbey. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £143, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an old building with tower. It contains a brass, bearing date 1524. Here is a National school, and charities producing about £6 per annum. Stephen Duck, author of various poems, was born at this place. Casterley, a Roman camp, is situated on Uphaven Hill. The lord of the manor is the Earl of Normanton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]