National Gazetteer (1868) - Cherhill
CHERHILL, a parish in the hundred of Calne, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles S.E. of Calne, its pest town, and 8 N. of Devizes. This place was held some time by the Beauchamp family. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice, but in good preservation. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship, and there is a National school. On the hill-side, and visible for some miles round, is the figure of a horse, 157 feet long, cut in the chalk, which was executed about 1780 at the cost of Christopher Allsop, an eminent physician of Calne. Near it is a monument in honour of the birth of the Prince of Wales, erected by Lord Lansdowne. W. Heneage, Esq., is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]