National Gazetteer (1868) - Chilmark
CHILMARK, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles E. of Hindon, and 3 from the Tisbury railway station. It is situated on the river Madder, and the Roman way to Bath, which passed through this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value £426, in the patronage of the Earl of Pembroke, who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient edifice, with beautiful stained-glass windows, and in good condition, nearly £2,000 having been laid out in its restoration in 1856. Here are National schools for both sexes. This place is celebrated for its freestone, of which Salisbury Cathedral and many other notable edifices of the county of Wilts are built. Near the church is an outhouse, supposed to be a remnant of Wilton Abbey. John de Chilmark, the Archimedes of the 13th century, was born here. The parish register dates from 1653.
BUDGE, a tything in the parish of Chilmark, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Hindon.
RIDGE, a tything in the parish of Chilmark, hundred of Dunworth, county Wilts, 1½ mile S.W. of Chilmark.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]