"CHILMARK, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles E. of Hindon, and 3 from the Tisbury railway station. It is situated on the river Madder, and the Roman way to Bath, which passed through this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, value £426, in the patronage of the Earl of Pembroke, who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient edifice, with beautiful stained-glass windows, and in good condition, nearly £2,000 having been laid out in its restoration in 1856. Here are National schools for both sexes. This place is celebrated for its freestone, of which Salisbury Cathedral and many other notable edifices of the county of Wilts are built. Near the church is an outhouse, supposed to be a remnant of Wilton Abbey. John de Chilmark, the Archimedes of the 13th century, was born here. The parish register dates from 1653."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- St Margaret of Antioch, The Street, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Chilmark area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- A transcription of the section for Chilmark from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Chilmark from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Chilmark to another place.
- The entry for Chilmark from British History Online.
Wiltshire County Council Community History Chilmark entry includes maps from 1773 and 1810.
Jill Waterson on her History Pieces website (see other) has an article Chilmark, Wiltshire, 1851 (pdf file). It is a profile of Chilmark in the mid nineteenth century based on an analysis of the 1851 census. It includes the names and occupations of heads of household in Chilmark in 1851.
- View maps of Chilmark and places within its boundaries.
Population was 507 in 1831, 405 in 1951.