National Gazetteer (1868) - Chilton Foliat
"CHILTON FOLIATT, a parish partly in the hundred of Kinwardstone, in the county of Wilts, and partly in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle, in the county of Berks, 2½ miles from Hungerford, its post and railway town. It is pleasantly situated on the river Kennet, and includes the tything of Leverton. Formerly-this place belonged to the Foliot family, and came through the Warines to Sutton, who presented it to the Charter House. The greater part of the parish is in Wilts, and in 1861 contained only 611 inhabitants. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £994, in the patronage of F.L. Popham, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat edifice, and contains monuments to the Popham family, and effigies of one of the Foliot family. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a National school for boys. The charities amount to £3 per annum. Chilton Lodge, designed by Pilkington, was anciently the seat of Secretary Whitelock."
"LEVERTON, a tything in the parish of Chilton-Foliatt, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county Berks, 1 mile N. of Hungerford. It is situated on the river Kennet."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]