"CHIRTON, (or Cherringten, or Shorten), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles S.E. of Devizes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, value £190, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a handsome structure in the Norman style of architecture. It contains a beautiful font. Here is a National school. The manorial rights are vested in the Heytesbury Trustees."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Chirton is also known as Cherrington or Cherington or Churton.