Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Chirton
"CHIRTON, (or Cherringten, or Shorten), a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles S.E. of Devizes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, value £190, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a handsome structure in the Norman style of architecture. It contains a beautiful font. Here is a National school. The manorial rights are vested in the Heytesbury Trustees."
"CONOCK, a tything in the parish of Chirton, hundred of Swanborough, in the county of Wilts, half a mile S.W. of Churton, and 4 miles S.E. of Devizes. It is situated under the Ridge Way."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]