"CHISELDON, (or Chisledon), a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge, in the county of Wilts, 8 miles S. of Highworth, and 4 from the Swindon railway station. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £173, in the patronage of H. Calley, Esq., The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a plain edifice, lately restored, and contains monuments to the Calley and Mellish families. The Methodists and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here and there is a National school for both sexes. The charities produce about £12 a year. T. Calley, Esq. is lord of the manor. Burdrop Park contains a substantial stone edifice, which is the seat of H. Calley, Esq."
"BADBURY, a tything in the parish of Chiseldon, and hundred of Kingsbridge, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles from Swindon. Beacon Hill is the site of a camp supposed to be of British origin."
"HODSON, a tything in the parish of Chiseldon, county Wilts, 2 miles S.E. of Swindon."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]