"CHILTERN, (or Chittern, All Saints), a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles from Warminster, and 4 E.N.E. of the Heytesbury station, on the Salisbury branch of the Great Western railway. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Wiley. The living is a vicarage* united with the curacy of Chiltern St. Mary, in the diocese of Salisbury, value £325, in the patronage of the Bishop and of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury alternately. The church is ancient, and is dedicated to All Saints. There is a small charity which produces about £2 per annum. In the vicinity is Knock camp. Chilterns a meet for the South Wilts hounds."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]