"CHITTOE, (or Chitway), a tything in the parish of Bishop's Cannings, in the county of Wilts, 5 miles N.W. of Devizes, its post town and railway station, and the same distance from Chippenham. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, value £90, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat modern edifice in the early English style of architecture. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there are National schools for both sexes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]