National Gazetteer (1868) - Christian Malford
"CHRISTIAN-MALFORD, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of Damerham, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles N.E. of Chippenham, its post town. The Great Western line runs through it. It is called Cristemelford in Domesday Survey, at which time it was possessed by the abbots of Glastonbury. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £672, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with tower. There is a National school for both sexes. Anciently the Herberts had a seat here. It is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The Earl of Carnarvon is lord of the manor."
"AVON, a tything in the parish of Christian-Malford, hundred of North Damerham, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles from Chippenham. It is on the bank of the Lower Avon. The Great Western railway passes through it. The living is a perpetual curacy attached to the rectory of Christian-Malford in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]